Therefore, we ask our state legislators to immediately enact a moratorium on new charters until, at minimum, the 5 following fundamental changes are made to the 1992 Charter Schools Act:
1. Add adverse fiscal impact as a basis on which districts may reject charter applications.
2. Give locally elected school boards the sole authority to approve and renew charter school petitions.
3. Require charter schools to enroll students with disabilities (especially those with severe disabilities), English Language Learners, and Newcomers, in equal proportion to the enrollment of these groups of students in the district in which the charter operates.
4. Apply to charter school board members the same prohibition of conflicts of interest as apply to public school boards.
5. Require charter schools to be more accountable and transparent and not force school districts to have to cede control of their facilities to charter schools.
Educators for Democratic Schools is an organization of educators and their allies located in Oakland, California, who are committed to preserving and growing public education for all and fighting its privatization/charterization. For questions, email [email protected].